My new favorite snack – Banana Nut Oat Muffins
I was looking for a quick and easy way to get some complex carbs in to my morning breakfast routine when I came across this simple, tasty, recipe that takes minutes to make and will last you for a while.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup almond milk (I used the unsweetened kind, but if you want to experiment with vanilla flavor, or even chocolate, go right ahead)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 3 cups of old fashion Oats
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- Coconut oil (to grease cupcake tin) – Pam spray works too, but the coconut oil is better for you. You can use cupcake liners if you prefer, but I find the batter sticks to the liners
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Add the bananas, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract to your blender (I use my magic bullet blender) you can mash the banana with a fork, and then add in the rest of the wet ingredients, but I find the blending is easier and makes sure the bananas are thoroughly mixed in each muffin
- Transfer your liquid ingredients from the blender to a mixing bowl
- Add in the baking powder, oats, and walnuts
- Mix well
- Transfer 1/4 cup portions to a well-greased cupcake tin
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes
Depending on the size of your bananas, you should yield between 12-15 muffins. Based on a yield of 12 muffins, these are 175 calories, 22g carbs, 9g fat, 6g protein, and 4g sugar. If you opt to omit the walnuts, these babies are 111 calories, 20g carbs, 3g fat, 4g protein, and 4g sugar. You can play around with your add ins; try craisins, raisins, or even chocolate chips for a naughty little treat. I individually bag these (and I try to suck the air out with a straw so they stay fresher) and keep them in my fridge. You can warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds if you don’t like them cold. I have been known to spread a little almond butter on them from time to time, but that’s just me.
Give them a test in your kitchen and let me know what you think! Don’t forget to pin this to your pintrest board for when you need a healthy snack!