So you may have seen last week that the 2014 edition of Oprah’s Favorite Things were released, just in time for the holiday shopping season. Incidentally, am I the only one who feels this is starting earlier and earlier each year? Personally the only things I really liked were the Heart Snapshot Photo Collage from Minted.com and the Nate Berkus dessert plates from Target. I did like the Footnanny gift set but I would never pay that much when I could get the Shea Socks from Bath and Body Works for $8.50.
Regardless, the list is out and unless you are Oprah, the average person on a budget may need to take out a small loan to cover the retail price of this list. According to Jezebel.com, the list ends up costing you about $13,054. So, in the spirit of a thrifty, yet joyous holiday, I present Souzapalooza’s 2014 Super Stuff! (I’m not calling this my favorite things cause I’m sure Oprah has some sort of copyright on it and will sue Cuff Turtle & I!) These are items I have given, received, or have a Xmas crush on and am putting on my list! (Mom, pay attention!). A week before Christmas I will do a list of Souzapalooza Stocking Stuffers for a few last-minute ideas to throw in a stocking.
Souzapalooza’s 2014 Super Stuff
1) Key Smart Minimalist Key Organizer – I actually ordered this item for my dad for Christmas (No one tell him!) It is an amazing little key organizer that reduces a key ring that makes you looks like you are a night janitor, to a small sleek Swiss army knife size. Available at The Grommet and starting at $19.99
2) One Line A Day Journal – I bought myself one of these and although some days I forget, I do write a little synopsis of the day good, bad or indifferent. A unique gift for the writer or historian of your family. Cost about $10 depending on where you buy it.
3) Flux Capacitor – Now any car can be a time machine thanks to the Flux Capacitor USB Car Charger. Available at ThinkGeek, this replica of Doc Brown’s Flux Capacitor has two USB ports to charge your phone, ipod, or other USB devices while in the car. Retailing for $24.99
4) Nourish Snacks – Developed by Dr Joy Bauer of Today Show fame, Nourish Snacks is a new line of snack foods developed to be free of GMOs, preservatives, artificial colors and preservatives. They are gluten-free, dairy free, and vegetarian; with each packet being under 200 calories. It is a subscription based delivery however, you can order a variety box of 20 packets for $36. These are a way healthier choice than Oprah’s Mini Filled Bagels!
5) Adagio Teas – Tea of the Month Club – Here is a gift that keeps on giving. Ka-Ka and I ordered this for Aunt Sweetie last year and she seemed to really love it. Every other month, she receives two flavors of loose tea leaves which should yield about 75 cups of tea. They have a few different options to choose from including flavored teas, herbal, black, green and decaf. You can also decided if you want to order a 6 month or 12 month program. Price is dependant on the tea and length of the program but can range from $39-$94
6) Cooking Light Way to Cook – For the chef in your life, I highly recommend this wonderful cookbook! This cookbook was produced in 2009, and has since inspired a few other versions such as Way to Cook Vegetarian, Way to Bake, ect. Way to Cook is a great book for novices and pros a like. Not only does it have amazing recipes but it also explains tips and techniques to have them come out properly. This book covers everything from seasonal vegetables, cuts of meat, and how to prepare it all. Retails around $20
7) Momentum Jewelry Wrap Bracelets – I saw these on Fitfluential and I have a little crush on them! I love things that motivate and empower and these little wrist reminders do just that. There is an extensive line of jewelry but the wrap bracelets seem to be my favorite. They are designed by workout enthusiasts, and claim to not rub, slip, squeeze or chafe so you can wear them when you work out. With phrases like “Strong is the new Beautiful”, “Don’t think, just run” and my favorite “be the best version of YOU”, these beauties will be a reminder that you can do it! Retails for $20
8)Blender Bottle ProStack – For the athlete on the go, this is a great item. It is a traditional blender bottle with attachable storage containers for protein powder, UCAN, and your vitamin supplements. This is available at Bed Bath and Beyond for $12.99. However, I do recommend giving this gift with your athlete’s favorite supplements, which will be a bit more money. I’m partial to Protizyme Protein (all flavors),Quest just launched a new protein powder line I’m eager to try, and of course UCAN so I can be like Meb!
9) Nick & Nora Flannel PJs from Target – I have a wonderful pair of gnome print pajamas by Nick and Nora that I wear on really cold nights in the winter. They are super comfy and come in fun prints and patterns. Browsing the Target website, this winter they have prints that include Flamingos, Penguins, and Monkeys on Skis. I personally prefer the pants/shirt set, however they do have a one piece feety versions for the kid at heart. They range from $24.99-$29.99 and have both men’s and women’s versions; and don’t forget you get 5% back if you use your Target Red card
10) Too Faced Natural Eye Neutral Eyeshadow Collection – I rarely wear make up, but when I do, I always grab this palatte. It’s colors are natural but not boring. When applied (with the help of the built-in “how to” guide) can really make your eyes pop! It retails for $36. To read a real blogging beauty expert’s take on the palatte visit Darling Dee Dee
11) HoodieTravel Pillow – Another favorite from Bed Bath and Beyond that I personally want this Christmas. Traveling takes a toll on your neck and spine. A travel pillow is an ideal item on long flights and especially red-eyes where you want to sleep. The Hoodie Pillow has a hood built-in to the inflatable pillow’s cover to keep your head warm when leaning against the cold plane wall (I always sit next to the window). Retails for $19.99
12) Gnosis Chocolate Cacoa Elixir – If you are going to have chocolate, it might as well be good chocolate. Vanessa Barg developed Gnosis Chocolate as a gift for her health coaching clients but it has become a well-known brand in the organic realm. Her chocolate is ethically sourced, organic, vegan, kosher and free of dairy, soy and gluten. On of my favorite products is her Mayan Heat Elixir which is sweetened with low glycemic coconut sugar and spiced with cinnamon and cayenne pepper. It will warm you up on a cold winter day. It also comes in a bar, but I prefer the hot cacao drink. Retails for $12.99
13) Tide Odor Eliminating Laundry Travel Bag – A great gift for the Bikram Yogi or other sweaty athlete in your life. This little bag can store your hot sweaty yoga clothes inside your nice clean yoga bag until you can get home to deal with them. I actually have the sports version that is a drawstring back pack construction, however I would prefer the travel version to keep the strings from getting tangled with all the other stuff in my bag. Retails for $17.99
14) Unbroken – I have been wanting to read it for a while, but haven’t had the chance to grab a copy. Now that Angelina Jolie has turned it in to a movie being released this Christmas, I need to get on it. The story, written by Laura Hillenbrand is about the remarkable life of Louie Zamperini. I still love real books, not ebooks, so head on down to the Barnes and Noble! Paperback $9.60, Hardcover, $17.76
15) Star Wars : The Complete Saga Episodes I-V1 – I don’t own Star Wars. Yes, I am embarrassed to admit this being such a fan. SK2 & Irish Kat watched her copy at my house on Halloween and I realized, I really need to get my own copy. This is the pricey item on my list, the Blu Ray 6 disc set running about $84.99 on amazon. However, the set of my favorites, the original trilogy (Star Wars A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, & Return of the Jedi – My 3 favorites) is only $34.96.
What do you think of my list? What’s your favorite item? Do you have any favorite things to recommend for the holidays? Please share them in the comments below?