I’ve been safe and sound after Hurricane Sandy ravished the Northeast this weekend. Most of my friends and loved ones have been inconvenienced by lack of power, heat, and hot water, however everyone is safe and unharmed. We are very very fortunate. There are so many who were not so lucky this time.
If you have the means, please consider making a donation to help out – All links / info are from the NBC News website:
- Text message: Text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief.
- Phone: 800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767); for Spanish speakers, 800-257-7575; for TDD, 800-220-4095.
- Online: American Red Cross
Also check to see if/where you can donate blood in the area! I saw on Facebook, D1 was out making blood donations yesterday!
Salvation Army –
- Text message: Text the word STORM to 80888 to make a $10 donation. To confirm the donation, respond with the word “Yes.”
- Phone: 800-SAL-ARMY (800-725-2769)
- Online: Salvation Army; here’s the organization’s New Jersey site, and its Greater New York site.
American Humane Society (to help pets that may have been lost during the storm – I know I would be devastated if I have been separated from Cuff Turtle) –
- Text message: Text the word HUMANE to 80888 to donate $10.
- Phone: 866-242-1877
- Online: The AHA’s website for donating is here
- Sandy’s aftermath: How to help (todaynews.today.com)
- How to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy (hamptonroads.com)
- Frequently Asked Questions: Red Cross Sandy Response (newsroom.redcross.org)
- NY Aquarium loses part of fish collection to storm (miamiherald.com)