Design Crush, one of the blogs I read, is holding a Mixtape Swap. It is a great idea, and I’ll give you the details in a second, but first I must indulge in a little nostalgia regarding mix tapes…
In my life, I have made quite a few mix tapes, but none stands out as much as what we aptly named “The Cruisin’ Mix of 1996”. The Cruisin’ Mix started as a joke. A guy that we knew that always used the phrase “Take it Easy”, and as a joke, my friend Doc* threw a copy of the classic song Take it Easy by The Eagles on a blank tape. As spring turned in to summer, songs were added at random to the mix tape, until contained an eclectic 90 minutes of music as dynamic as the group of friends that created it. I still have my original Cruisin’ mix cassette tape, as well as a CD Version I created as a shower gift for Doc when she got married in 2007. Even now, years later, certain songs still take me back to that summer full of friends, good times, crazy adventures, and Nathan’s (you had to be there to understand).
*For the record, Doc isn’t a doctor, nor does she play one on TV… actually, I can’t even remember how she got that nickname… hey it was 15 years ago, cut me some slack!
The Cruisin Mix of 1996
- Take It Easy – The Eagles
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Cindy Lauper
- I’m Too Sexy – Right Said Fred
- With or Without You – U2
- Be Our Guest – Beauty and the Beast
- Mission Impossible Theme Song (1996 version)
- Macarena – Los Del Rio (It was hot in 1996!!)
- Son of a Preacher Man – Dusty Springfield
- Every Breath You Take – The Police
- A Hard Day’s Night – The Beatles
- All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix
- Baby You Can Drive My Car – The Beatles
- Pinball Wizard – The Who
The Other Side A
- Intro to the song Photograph by The Verve Pipe
- American Music – The Violent Femmes
- I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
- Low Rider – War
- Freeway of Love – Aretha Frankiln
- Proud Mary – Tina Turner
- You Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC
- Footloose – Kenny Loggins
- Be Like Mike (from the Gatorade commercial)
- Intro to Right Kind of Love – Jeremy Jordan (all right!)
- Fantastic Voyage – Coolio
- Don’t You Forget About Me – Simple Minds
- Late At Night – Buffalo Tom
- Cause I’m A Blonde – Julie Brown
- Jungle Boogie – Kool and the Gang
Now for the Design Crush Mixtape Swap Spring/Summer 2011 Edition Info:
1. First off, Kelly uses the term “mixtape” in reverence for what it was when mixes first emerged in the 80s, your mix will most definitely be on a CD.
2. Email Kelly at email@example.com to sign up by Sunday, May 1st.
3. Tell Kelly what genre (i.e. indie, pop/rock, classic, etc) you usually listen to as well as your mailing address.
4. Choose 15 to 20 songs that scream summer to you and burn away.
5. Go all out with the disk and case art. Graphic design, markers and colored pencils, whatever. It’s all up to you, just make sure it’s not plain and that you include the songs and artists’ names somewhere, somehow.
6. Everyone will be paired off and notified via email by Wednesday, May 4th.
7. Your mix is due in the mail to your swapmate no later than Saturday, May 14th.
Learn more about the Mixtape Swap by visiting Kelly’s blog DesignCrush. She has an eye for really cool stuff and shares it with all of us. I have quite a few of her posts starred in my Google reader. Follow her, you’ll like what she has to show you!